- 14 – 16 oz tofu (extra firm, firm, or high protein)
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- Garlic powder, mineral salt, fresh ground pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 – 2 medium avocados
- 6 slices of bread of choice
- Green leafy vegetables of choice
- Favorite mustard or vegan mayonnaise
Cutting and pressing the tofu: Remove the tofu from the package, turn it on its side and carefully cut it into 3 pieces.
Place the slabs between 2 clean tea towels or towels, place a heavy object on top to remove excess moisture. Let stand under pressure for about 10 minutes. Cut the onion into thin strips, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet or skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. If you leave the onions in the pan, note that they can continue to cook from the heat of the pan. Toast the bread and cut the avocado. You may even prefer to mash your avocado directly into its peel with the back of a fork and spread like butter.